If this question is on your mind, the straight answer is Yes. Find out why in the well-detailed article.
Over the years, many job seekers applying for jobs for the first time are often caught in two minds; wondering if they do or do not need a resume or LinkedIn profile. So, don’t you worry, you are not the only one lost in wonder.
But, here is the good news, after reading this article you will discover the essence of a resume and LinkedIn profile, and fully understand how they work.
Let’s get right into the details.
Why Do You Need A Resume?
Here are 3 reasons you need a resume:
- Highlights Your Valuable Experience and Skills
- Can Get You An Interview
- Shows What You Can Offer Your Employer
Highlights Your Valuable Experience and Skills: One of the main functions of a resume is serving as a summary of your achievements, skills, and other necessary qualifications. As a matter of fact, it gives you an opportunity to sell yourself to your potential employers.
Here, you have the power to show how effective and influential you have been in the past few months or years doing your job. For this reason, you won’t be making a mistake if you tag a resume as a “job seeker’s advertisement platform.”
This is because it draws the attention of your future employers to your distinct qualifications and skills that make you the perfect fit for a job opening in the company. Ensure you leverage it.
Can Get You An Interview: The general assumption of most individuals is that an excellent resume will get you the job you are applying for. This is not how a resume works. In contrast to the popular misconception, the sole purpose of any resume you will submit is to get an invitation for an interview. In fact, you should see your resume as your ticket to that job or dream job you desire.
You will barely find an employer who hired an employee based on what they read in your resume. Besides writing a resume, ensure that it is high-quality and convincing enough to make your potential employer send you an invite for the interview. We will show you how to go about this later on in the article. Keep reading!
Shows What You Can Offer Your Employer: One of the best ways to stand out from your competition (other job applicants) is by ensuring that your resume is filled with benefits that show how much value you bring to the company rather than just focusing on your skills. In a nutshell, make sure it is result-driven and aimed at projecting your effectiveness on the job.
Here’s the thing, employers are more interested in what you bring to the table and not just your skills. So, show them how you have utilized your skills in times past to produce results. For instance, if you helped your company acquire 20% in profits using your salesmanship skills, ensure you state it. You see, this is your chance to prove your value, take advantage of it.
How To Make Your First Resume
Do you plan on creating your first resume but don’t know how to go about it? We have got you covered. Now that you know the importance of a resume, here is a step-by-step guide you can use to create an impressive resume.
- Ensure you mention your personal details and contact information
- Add an objective or resume summary
- Highlight your achievements and work experience
- List your hard and soft skills
- Include information relating to your hobbies, languages, e.t.c
- Align your details to suit the job opening
- Add an irresistible cover letter
- Finally, ensure you proofread your cover letter and resume
Use A Resume Builder
If you don’t want to start from scratch and need help with your resume, you can simply use a resume builder like Resumebuilderpro.com, as it is one of the best out there. Here, you will find resume templates and layouts perfect for the job you are applying for.
This way, you get to create a professional and effective job resume that can win your employers over. Everything you need to make your resume compelling, you will find on this site. All you have to do is follow the simple steps.
Why Do You Need A LinkedIn Profile?
Over the years, LinkedIn has grown in popularity and become a crucial part of the employment process. Below we have listed and explained why LinkedIn is important and how you can use it to your advantage. Check it out!
- Exposes You To Recruiters and Hiring Managers
- Allows You To Show Your Credibility, Expertise, and Leadership
Exposes You To Recruiters and Hiring Managers: It’s not a hidden fact that LinkedIn exposes you to the hiring managers in different companies. This is why your profile should tell a lot about you.
On LinkedIn, your profile is your brand identity. It is what recruiters and hiring managers look out for. Hence, you have to give it your best shot and ensure it gives a perfect representation of what you can offer.
So, pay attention to how you structure your LinkedIn profile. This is why most people call a LinkedIn profile an “online CV.” It allows you to sell yourself to potential employers.
Allows You To Show Your Credibility, Expertise, and Leadership: Your profile gives you the chance to show your expertise, leadership, and credibility. You can show your worth and trustworthiness to your potential employees through your profile.
Also, they can easily see those who have recommended you in times past and the relationships you have built over time. It provides enough evidence of value to your hiring managers and what they stand to benefit if they employ your services.
How To Build A Compelling LinkedIn Profile
It’s one thing to know about the essence of a LinkedIn profile and another to know the right things to include in your profile. So, if you want to create a LinkedIn profile that is effective and persuasive, here are some pointers for you:
- Use an ideal profile picture on your LinkedIn. We recommend that you use a professional headshot
- Ensure that you also use a background picture
- Make sure that your headline tells a lot about you
- Use your summary to tell the story of your professional experience
- Mention your unique skills
- Build your LinkedIn network
- Highlight the services you can provide
- Show your endorsements and recognitions
- Include your licenses, volunteer experiences, and certifications
- Attempt the skills assessment
- Ask for recommendations
- Show how much you want to learn
- Know your target audience and share valuable content on LinkedIn consistently
- Make sure you follow the top influencers and big names in your industry
- Use strategic keywords in your LinkedIn profile
- Ensure you have a complete profile without omitting details, such as your contact info, industry, location, and the likes
- Add images, links, and videos
- Your resume and LinkedIn profile should match
- Show what you have interests in
- Stay active on LinkedIn
In summary, the importance of a resume and LinkedIn profile can not be overemphasized. If you have an excellent resume that meets the basic requirements and a professional LinkedIn profile, you can be sure that you are on the right track to getting that job you want. So, ensure you have your resume and LinkedIn profile in place.
Cheers to success ahead!