Health and safety are essential in a fast-paced environment such as a warehouse, store or production facility. Good practice in this area includes ensuring that you not only look after your staff’s well-being and have safe working practices but also ensure that the lifting and loading equipment and systems you use are safe, effective and efficient for those using them or working nearby.
Using the most appropriate loading solutions will help you streamline business operations, likely increase productivity, but most importantly, ensure that your operations are carried out safely to reduce the risk of accidents to people or damage to the products and equipment you move.
Traffic volumes can quickly become a nuisance when attempting to load and unload lorries. It can take many forklifts to load and unload vehicles or move goods between floors or onto a mezzanine.
Yet there is now a market of highly effective solutions, such as those we provide, of lift and loading bay products, which can provide the flexibility you need to load all goods and vehicles quickly and safely.
Many workplace accidents are caused when lifting, lowering or manually handling goods and equipment, especially if they are bulky or heavy items, causing injury to the person lifting or those close by when things go wrong. Time lost through injury or accident and processes that are more cumbersome than they need to be are costly and can call your business’s health and safety policies into question.
What Equipment Can Help Improve Health and Safety On The Loading Deck?
Modular loading systems can improve how your business operates by offering a cost-effective, safe, reliable and versatile change to how you go about loading and unloading lorries and lifting items. They are easily fitted to your existing warehouse floor or within a new build. They offer an alternative to forklifts and tail lifts, bringing a safer working environment and include options such as:
- Dock lifts, including double deck lifts – enable seamless integration of deck trailers to provide an efficient and reliable means to load tall UK double-deckers, wheel box-type and ultra-low-floor vehicles safely.
- Vehicle-to-ground yard lifts – provide an instant solution to safely load and unload goods on level access sites. You can quickly load with improved safety with the best suppliers’ manufacturing designs that allow four pallets plus operator capacity or six pallet externally operated models.
- Dock lifts, including multi-level loading – these modular units are easily installed and can include fixed low-gradient ramps with surrounding fall protection to ensure workers and goods can not fall when raising or lowering the platform.
- Scissor lifts – these can be fitted within a pit or floor level and can be supplied as modular units that offer safe lifting of goods between split levels and to load or unload goods safely onto lorries in a loading bay.
- Dock levellers – enable direct vehicle access when there is a slight difference in height between the lorry back and ground, such that lifting is reduced and operation is safer.
All of the above will help you improve on-site safety whilst maximising the use of available space and reducing the amount of vehicle traffic and equipment in the area for loading and unloading lorries and moving items onto other floors within your facility. If space is limited, adding a modular warehouse extension or mezzanine floor access via a mezzanine goods lift could help you improve the layout of your facility to provide a better and safer working environment.
Using lifts and levellers specifically designed to handle palletised, bulky or heavy goods significantly reduces the amount of manual handling and helps keep goods and people protected with barriers and gates that can be explicitly designed to offer the safest access and exit routes for the layout of your premises, Accidents when using steps, forklifts and telehandlers are very common in a busy warehouse or production environment. These solutions improve safety cost-effectively.