A proxy is a very useful tool for both an ordinary Internet user and a business. The proxy replaces the IP address and masks the user data for the owner of the application or site – he will not be able to block your IP. Traffic is passed through an additional server that can cache information and run additional protection tools. In this article, we will consider all the advantages of this technology so that you understand how to buy a dedicated proxy correctly.
A proxy is an intermediary computer between a user and a resource on the Internet. If you need to open a web page, the proxy can itself make a corresponding request to the desired site, take data from there, check it, and send it to the browser.
The following types of proxies are distinguished by the level of anonymity:
- Transparent. Requests and responses do not change, so the user has access to the Internet under a real IP. Such solutions are used in public or corporate networks, for access control and caching.
- Anonymous. This type of proxy hides the real address of the user. It specifies its IP, and adds additional redirect commands. But still, Internet resources understand that the visitor is using a proxy.
- Elite. Such proxies mask both the user’s address and their essence as much as possible. This is a safer option since sites and services can block proxies just because they report it.
- There are also distorting proxies. Such proxies transmit information about the IP address to the server, but the information is obviously false.
Proxy types by placement:
- Server. Such proxies are located in data centers, there are all the conditions for their effective operation: special software, technical support, and high speed. Consumers appreciate such solutions for speed, reliability, and low cost. However, there is a risk that the target resource will block an IP that is clearly owned by the hosting provider and not the regular user.
- Resident. Such proxies assume the use of real IP addresses that consumers receive from their providers. In this case, for sites, there is no difference between proxies and normal users. The speed of such proxies may be lower and the cost higher, but they allow you to solve more problems.
- Mobile. Such proxies work on the same principle as residential proxies, they only use the IP of cellular operators. Most often, such proxies are needed for professional promotion in social networks, where the geography and addresses of users are strictly monitored.
According to the data transfer method, the most popular types are:
- HTTP (standard protocol for transferring HTML documents, web pages);
- HTTPS (more secure HTTP, with encryption);
- SOCKS (supports both HTTP and HTTPS, and FTP – file transfer protocol).
And according to the use of proxies can be divided into:
- Public. Such proxies are free, and this is the only advantage for the user. Such proxies can be blacklisted by many sites, there is a big risk of disclosing the user’s personal data.
- Private. Such solutions support authentication, so access for unauthorized users is blocked. Such proxies involve a fee, so the provider is more likely to be careful with the data.
Such proxies can be shared and dedicated. Shared is used by multiple users, so it’s cheaper, but it reduces speed and increases the risk of blocking due to other people’s actions. Only one user uses a dedicated proxy – a higher level of security, speed, and price.
What are proxies used for?
Proxies are used to solve various problems. Let’s look at the main ones:
A proxy interacts with Internet resources, so they have no information about who is actually requesting the data. At a minimum, this helps protect against targeted ads based on the products viewed.
Access to prohibited resources.
Site blocking and content restrictions are configured by IP addresses – unique identifiers of the form 18.104.22.168, which every device on the Internet has. And the intermediate server hides the real IP. This is the main factor that makes many users think about proxies.
Filtration and control.
Proxies are an excellent solution not only for bypassing restrictions, but also for blocking individual resources. For example, this solution can be effectively used in a corporate network to block user access to social networks or other resources. The solution can also be used to monitor who visits a particular resource and how much time a user spends there.
Savings and acceleration.
When a user visits the same resource, the proxy can provide him with access to the saved version of the content, rather than downloading all the data again. This feature is caching. There is also such an option as compression, which reduces the amount of downloaded data.
A proxy allows you to increase the speed of loading a resource and the efficiency of displaying content by sending requests from other regions and devices.
Professional promotion on the Internet.
To seriously work with SEO, SMM, and analytics, you have to make a lot of requests to search engines, and deal with several social media accounts at once. For this, resources can restrict access and even issue a ban. With proxies, it is much easier to avoid this.
The intermediary responsible for IP address spoofing and traffic redirection can also provide the user with protection against hacker attacks and viruses. However, there is a risk that the owner of the proxy server is not good advice, he can compromise the user’s data.
How to choose a proxy
In order to choose the right proxy, follow these tips:
Take into account the task.
To access a prohibited site, a regular browser extension may be suitable. If you need to seriously promote several accounts, for example, on Instagram, you will most likely need a whole pool of proxy servers – anonymous, resident, and dedicated.
Warranty and technical support.
For a new user, it is important that the provider provides the opportunity to test the proxy, if necessary, have the opportunity to replace it. In addition, the user needs to pay attention to whether the company provides support in setting up a proxy and consulting on its operation.
Analysis of reviews, ratings, reputation.
It is worth taking into account the opinion and experience of other users, and not only evaluating the statements of the proxy providers themselves.
When choosing a proxy, you should pay attention to the main functions of the technology, as well as additional ones: the presence of blocking potentially malicious scripts, filtering advertising banners, and encryption. Reliable company PrivateProxy.me will help you choose the right proxy for your needs. Several plans are available to customers, as well as the opportunity to test the technology for free.