Making decisions that are driven by data is the key to successful marketing. When you’re running a business of any size, selecting the right marketing analytics tools for your needs, carefully measuring the data that you collect and using it to optimize your marketing efforts will make all the difference between struggling to reach your marketing goals or blowing them out of the water.
The good news for business owners and marketers is that there’s absolutely no shortage of tools available to help you do just that. In this post, we’ll look at a variety of marketing analytics tools that can be used to reach different goals. Each has its own set of features, strengths, and weaknesses that make them ideal for certain marketing objectives.
1. Google Analytics
This basic, free, and popular website analytics tool is a must if your business has a website of any kind. It allows you to track the visitors to your website, see where the traffic is coming from, how they were referred to your website, how much time they’re spending on it, and more.
And, Google Analytics is integrated with Google Adwords, so that you can analyze your advertising campaigns using deeper data.
- Who is it for? Google Analytics is an ideal tool for any marketer or business owner who wants to track the traffic gained by their marketing efforts. If you’re mainly focusing on growth, sales, or conversions, Google Analytics is probably best used alongside another tool.
- Pricing: The basic version of Google Analytics is free to use and offers a wide range of capabilities which are more than enough for most companies. The premium version is aimed at larger enterprises and costs around $100k per year.
2. Google Search Console
The Google search console tool allows you to analyze your organic search traffic from Google. It shows you useful information such as which search terms are directing users to your website following their Google search and clicking on an organic (not an ad) link to your site.
And, the search console provides more information than clicks alone; you can also see the number of impressions a certain search time received, the average position your website was presented as a search result for the term, and the CTR.
- Who is it for? Google search console is an ideal tool for any marketer who is looking to improve either organic or paid traffic from search engines. The data that you can see on the search console dashboard can be a huge help, giving you the information that you need to make SEO changes. Knowing the search terms that are driving traffic to your website can help you extend your search engine marketing efforts and improve your website content.
- Pricing: It’s completely free to use.
This is a behavioral analysis tool designed to help you access information about your target audience and how they interact with your website or your product. Understanding how users interact with every feature can help you boost user engagement and improve the conversion rates of your website, calls to action, landing pages, and product pages. Click here to find out more about how analytics at Emerson College could help you improve marketing results.
You can also use KissMetrics to create A/B tests to see how changes you make to your website or products affect results and make sure that you’re making the right decisions toward reaching your business goals.
- Who is it for? KissMetrics is a good tool for marketers who want to create an effective dashboard that allows them to better understand the users that they are marketing to. The data provided can be extremely useful for increasing conversions, getting better customer engagement and improving marketing strategy results overall.
- Pricing: The prices are based on the number of events that you wish to track, the number of features you’re using and the level of support you want from KissMetrics. It ranges from $220 to $1,400.
4. Moz Pro
Moz Pro is a search engine analytics tool that provides useful data to help you with SEO efforts and boost organic traffic from search engines. You can use the tool to access data for both your and your competitors’ search result rankings, plus keyword rankings and trends and links analysis features.
- Who is it for? Moz Pro is a tool that’s best suited to digital marketers and SEO professionals with an end goal of improving results through more search-generated traffic. It is easy to use and ideal for both beginner marketers and experienced professionals.
- Pricing: Moz Pro is similar to most analytics tools when it comes to pricing, as it’s flexible according to what you need from it. The standard plan with limited abilities is priced at $99 per month, and plans gradually increase in features, abilities, and price up to $599 monthly.
Hotjar is a renowned heat maps tool that comes with some effective analytics features such as conversion funnel analysis, feedback polls, and surveys and registration form analysis. The heat maps can help you gain a deeper understanding of how your website visitors are interacting with your website, where they click, and their scrolling behavior.
For example, if you upload a new landing page and don’t yet know how it is performing, Hotjar allows you to easily gain an insight into how the users that land on it have been interacting with it. You can figure out what they’re interested in, what makes them convert (or not), and where they are getting confused.
- Pricing: The price range for this tool varies depending on the number of page views that you want to analyze. Prices range from $89 per month for 20k pageviews per day, up to $989 monthly for 800k page views daily.
Optimizely is a tool that allows you to determine the best steps to take for reaching your goals by testing different variations of any page or element on your website. You can run visual or textual experiments, and easily change the design of your pages without making any changes to your website code.
For example, you could run a test on your homepage and change the header text, so that the first variation shows one sentence while the second variation will show another. Then, you will need to define what you’re optimizing for, such as downloads, sign-ups or purchases.
Optimizely also integrates with several other analytics tools including Google Analytics, which allows you to track the results of your experiments elsewhere.
- Who is it for? This tool is useful for any marketers who care about the performance of their website and online marketing results. The A/B testing feature can tell help you decide which adjustments to make in order to increase website user conversions along the sales funnel, ultimately increasing your ROI.
- Pricing: As with most analytics tools, Optimizely pricing is based on the number of impressions you’re activating tests on. There are several price plans to choose from based on your traffic needs. $100 per month, for example, allows you to run tests on around 2k impressions. There’s also a free trial period that you can use to test Optimizely’s effectiveness for your website and business.
This useful heat map tool allows you to understand exactly how your website’s design is affecting your conversions. It allows you to see exactly what visitors are doing when they land on your website, such as how many of them actually scroll down the page, where they stop, and where they are clicking. It provides access to valuable user behavior data that allows you to optimize your website to the best variations for reaching your goals.
The data provided can also be segmented, which enables you to see how people behave based on where they were sourced.
- Who is it for? It’s a very similar tool to Hotjar that is ideal for businesses or marketers with new or frequently changing websites.
- Pricing: Prices vary depending on what you need. The basic package with limited abilities is affordable at just $9 per month, while the Pro package, priced at $99 per month gives you everything that Crazyegg can do.
This is an extremely useful dashboard software that enables you to build an interactive dashboard containing all your marketing data from various tools and channels. It allows you to pull data from popular tools like Facebook or Google Analytics, allowing you to easily track your performance and see all the data you need in one place.
You can build your own dashboard according to your needs, or use the pre-built dashboard templates that are designed for focusing on specific data such as Facebook ads monitoring or social media engagement.
- Who is it for? This tool is excellent for any digital marketers who want to save time and effort by monitoring all the marketing channels that they use in one simple screen. It also offers a range of features that are suitable for marketing agencies, allowing them to build dashboards that share their performance with clients.
- Pricing: There are various pricing levels available, starting at just $24 per month.
When it comes to successful marketing, analytics is the best tool in your box. Any of these programs will help you better understand your target audience and plan your marketing strategies accordingly.