Advanced technology is helping make the roads safer for drivers
Being safe while driving on the road is everyone’s goal. Thanks to technological advancements, you can eliminate your risk of being involved in car accidents, unlike before, when you need full attention and focus when driving because you only have yourself and your car to keep yourself safe.
Nowadays, many car features can help you be safe while on the road. Some technological innovations even help you to improve your driving skills. All of these are essential to staying safe while driving.
Technology is constantly changing every industry, and here are some ways it’s helping drivers to be safe:
1. Identifies and Helps Avoid Distractions
One of the reasons behind car accidents is that the driver was distracted. It’s a reality that puts people’s lives at risk and damages properties. You’re lucky if you have insurance to help you pay your medical bills or salvage your car. On the other hand, if you’re involved in an accident and don’t have enough insurance, you may need to file an SR-22 form. You can acquire this type of insurance through www.sr22savings.com.
Technology can keep you away from these distractions. You can use your smartphones to download an application that identifies if you’re driving. This mobile app will block all social networking updates, texts, and emails. It’ll also block you from posting on social media or sending messages when it identifies that you’re driving.
This will help you focus on driving and not be distracted using your mobile phone. Moreover, the app will even notify the person emailing or texting you that you’re driving at the moment. This way, you only get to reach that person after you’re off the road.
Another common distraction for drivers is becoming sleepy while driving. With monitoring software, it’ll identify if you’re driving rashly or you’re sleepy. This technology will use gesture control, eye movement, and facial recognition to identify your drowsiness and distraction levels.
With these kinds of software, you’ll be notified and reminded that you’re being distracted. Now, isn’t that helpful?
2. Prevents Accidents While in Reverse
Cameras are not only for capturing memories, but they’re now a requirement in the US such that all new models of automobiles should have backup cameras. These cameras provide assurance and safety of pedestrians and drivers as it detects if an object is too close behind you. These are the following benefits of backup cameras for drivers:
- Sightline When Reversing: Although backover can injure or cause accidents to other people, the driver will not be safe against criminal laws. To avoid being criminally charged because of backover, you can use backup cameras to view what is behind your car when you’re on the reverse. Not only are you safe from incurring criminal liabilities, but it also prevents you from endangering other people or animals.
- Eliminate the Blind Zone: Also, by using a backup camera, you can nearly reduce the blind zone. You can see in a wider-angle and taller view of what’s behind you compared with using rearview mirrors.
- Help In Parallel Parking: Even professional drivers can sometimes get bruises or bumps when parallel parking. With backup cameras, you can make all the right moves when parking in a tricky area. This includes parking in crowded places like shopping malls or where there are small parking spots. Using the backup camera will help you protect yourself and other people around you.
3. Prevents Collision With Automatic Emergency Braking
You know that braking earlier can make a big difference, but sometimes you realize it late. When you miss hitting your brake, you may end up colliding with other vehicles or pedestrians. Nowadays, almost all vehicles have an automatic emergency braking (AEB) system.
This allows you to avoid collisions. When your car is nearing collision, an active safety system known as the AEB will hit your brake. Without you touching the pedal, AEB will automatically step in. This also works when you’re hitting your brake, but it lacks force.
What is even great about AEB is that it can sense cyclists, pedestrians, and vehicles, reducing the chances of crashes.
There are many ways AEB work, such as the following:
- Some automobiles use radar sensors placed within the air vents, bumper, or front grille.
- Some use installed cameras inside the windshield behind the rearview mirror.
- Other cars use both.
- Use sensor data to calculate potential collisions for whatever detection method your car has.
4. Measures Driver Performance
Measuring a driver’s performance is essential to keep you safe as well. You can do this through the use of modern telematics systems as it identifies your driving behavior.
When installed, it’ll gather data about your driving behavior. You can see this on a dashboard report of the system. Thus, you can easily monitor if you need to improve your driving skills to keep you safe when driving.
This technology can detect your seat belt usage, backing up, harsh braking, speeding, and more. Nowadays, updates have been done, such as real-time intervention. Before, you may only have to view your data after it was collected or when you stopped driving. Now, you can assign someone else to monitor in real-time and tell you if you’re not driving safely.
By doing this, you can be notified of your risky driving behavior before causing an accident. Some even have real-time coaching which will send you voice notifications on what you should do. As a result, you can actively correct your driving behavior to improve your safety while on the road.
With all of these technologies, you can become a better driver. Instead of causing accidents while driving, you may prevent them when you properly use these technologies.
Whether you aim to improve your driving behavior or prevent collisions in real-time, technology is there to assist you. Knowing all of these will help you choose cars with the latest features. It may come with a price, but it’ll all be worth it as it can save your life and that of other people.
Leave a Reply